In this course you will develop an understanding and appreciation of mathematics by studying a variety of mathematical and geometrical systems, both ancient and modern.
You will learn to use specific mathematical terms and forms of reasoning that will increase your ability to think logically and express yourself with precision. Course reading lists may vary slightly from year to year.
- Euclid, Elements, Vol. 1
- Aristotle, Posterior Analytics
- Lobachevsky, Geometrical Investigations into the Theory of Parallel Lines
- Descartes, Rules for the Direction of the Mind
- Descartes, Discourse on Method
- Einstein, Relativity
- Nagel and Newman, Gӧdel’s Proof