Shimer College

Eligibility to Financial Aid and Assistance

Satisfactory Academic Policy

United States Department of Education regulations, Illinois Student Assistance Commission rules, and University policy require a student applying for and/or receiving federal, state, and University financial assistance to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to
receive these funds. Students must be making academic progress regardless of whether the student has previously received aid. The standards must be cumulative, and as such all prior terms of attendance are included in the evaluation, per Federal, State, and College
regulations. Students who have been academically suspended from the College are also suspended from Financial Aid and, if allowed to re-enroll, must successfully complete the reinstatement process or have an appeal granted in order to receive future financial aid.


The intent of this policy is to:

1. Ensure that the students using financial aid programs are demonstrating responsible use of public funds in pursuit of their educational goals;
2. Set standards for monitoring all financial aid after the first week of the term.


Completed course/earned credit – Earned credit hours are defined as the sum of hours for which a student has earned a grade of A, B, C, D, or P. Repeated courses are included in the calculation of attempted and earned hours. Withdrawals (W) after the first two weeks, Incompletes (I), and Failures (F) are not earned credits, but will be counted as attempted.

Financial aid – Federal Title IV programs, plus the state and institutional programs listed below:
Federal Pell Grant
Federal Perkins Loan
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
Federal Work Study
Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
Federal PLUS Loan
Illinois Monetary Award Program
Illinois Merit Recognition Scholarship
Illinois Paul Douglas Teacher/MTI/ITEACH Scholarship

Financial aid probation – A term in which a student who has been identified as not meeting one or more standards in this policy continues to receive financial aid. If, at the end of the probation term, a student has achieved a cumulative completion rate greater than or equal to 67% and their cumulative GPA is greater than or equal to cumulative rate, but their term completion rate is greater than or equal to 67% and their term GPA is greater than or equal to 2.00 they will stay on probation as their term progress contributes to their cumulative progress. If, at the end of the probation term, both the cumulative and term requirements are not met the student will be placed on financial aid/academic termination/suspension.

Financial aid termination/Academic suspension – The point at which a student is no longer eligible to receive financial aid as defined in this policy; normally, this is following an unsuccessful term of probation.

Incomplete – A grade of “I” received for an attempted course; no credit until the course is completed.

Maximum timeframe – Time limit set for receipt of financial aid that is specific to a student’s program of study. For undergraduate programs, federal law defines this limit as 150% of published program length.

Satisfactory Academic Progress/satisfactory progress – Completion of courses at a rate which meets the standards defined
in this policy.

Notification of Financial Aid Probation or Termination - The Office of Student Financial Aid will send a warning letter to any student who is put on financial aid probation or a termination letter to any student who is no longer eligible for financial aid, the financial aid office does not send notification of academic probation.

Reinstatement - Students who have been terminated from financial aid (including those who have lost financial aid eligibility due to academic suspension) may seek reinstatement by achieving, without the benefit of the aid from which they have been suspended, both the cumulative 67% completion rate and cumulative 2.00 GPA required. Reinstatement may be requested for the term after this occurs.

Student with a grade change – The student, after notifying Student Financial Aid of the grade change, including grades posted for incomplete courses, may regain eligibility should these changes result in satisfactory progress. Students requesting evaluation of grade changes or reinstatement must notify the financial aid office, the office cannot automatically evaluate the progress of students who have met the reinstatement conditions or have had grade changes without student notification.


Students who have extenuating circumstances that contributed to their failure to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress may complete a Financial Aid Appeal. These circumstances must be documented. Extenuating circumstances that will be considered in an appeal include, but are not limited to, the following: The death of an immediate relative, severe personal injury or illness.