Congratulations to the 2015 Montaigne Scholarship Winners!
This year’s competition was attended by 28 participants from 13 different states, ranging between 16 and 26 years of age. Among the hopefuls were a jazz musician, a debate team captain, a filmmaker, a Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellow, two City Year corps members, an equinine therapist, a skateboard-business entrepreneur, and a writer for the Best American Non-Required Reading collection.
Meet the Winners
The Montaigne Scholarship
The scholarship honors Michel de Montaigne, the French Renaissance author and essayist. Participants read an essay by Montaigne, discuss it in a classroom setting, and write an essay. A committee of faculty members evaluates each participant’s performance and selects the scholarship winners.
Participants will be sent a copy of the selected Montaigne text for the competition once they RSVP for the competition. (See below.)
The opportunity to earn a four-year scholarship to Shimer College!
March 28, 2015
3424 S. State Street
Chicago, Illinois 60616
1. Apply to Shimer College by March 9, 2015.
If you are applying online, please email any needed materials to email@example.com, or mail them (including the application fee) to the street address above.
A complete Application for Admission consists of:
- Completed application form. Please note: you may apply as a First-Time, Transfer or Early Entrant student. Special Status students are not eligible for the Montaigne Scholarship,
- Writing samples as requested,
- Letter(s) of recommendation as requested,
- High school transcripts (and college transcripts if applicable),
- $25 application fee payable to Shimer College.
2. RSVP for the Montaigne competition here.
3. To be eligible for a Montaigne Scholarship, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. The form can be completed anytime after January 1 and must be completed before a scholarship can be awarded. Note: Students who are awarded federal or state grants may have their scholarship adjusted if the combined amount of all aid exceeds the cost of tuition. Students must be applying for the Fall 2015; any deferral of admission will disqualify the student from acceptance of the scholarship.
Guidelines: Montaigne scholarships are effective for eight semesters of fulltime enrollment or the equivalent within a 5-year period beginning with the initial date of enrollment at Shimer College. They are automatically renewable for students who maintain a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.00 and are in good social standing. Enrollment during summer sessions and/or on a part-time basis is permissible and will be prorated (for example, two semesters of halftime enrollment counts as the equivalent of one semester of fulltime enrollment). Leaves of absence are permitted if approved by the Dean of the College, although they do not negate the 5-year completion stipulation. The award applies only to tuition fees and does not include other fees such as books, orientation or graduation fees.
Contact us with any questions at 312.235.3555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.