The scholarship honors Michel de Montaigne, the French Renaissance author and essayist. Participants read an essay by Montaigne, discuss it in a classroom setting, and write an essay. A committee of faculty members evaluates each participant’s performance and selects the scholarship winners.
Participants will be sent a copy of the selected Montaigne text for the competition once they RSVP for the competition. (See below.)
Full and partial tuition scholarships for four academic years
3424 S. State Street
Chicago, Illinois 60616
If you are applying online, please email any needed materials to email@example.com, or mail them (including the application fee) to the street address above.
A complete Application for Admission consists of:
- Completed application form. Please note: you may apply as a First-Time, Transfer or Early Entrant student. Special Status students are not eligible for the Montaigne Scholarship,
- Writing samples as requested,
- Letter(s) of recommendation as requested,
- High school transcripts (and college transcripts if applicable),
- $25 application fee payable to Shimer College.
2. RSVP for the Montaigne competition. (A registration link will be available later in the year.)
3. To be eligible for a Montaigne Scholarship, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. The form can be completed anytime after January 1 and must be completed before a scholarship can be awarded. Note: Students who are awarded federal or state grants may have their scholarship adjusted if the combined amount of all aid exceeds the cost of tuition.