Whether you’ve completed your AA and you’re ready to tackle your BA, or you’ve taken classes at a few schools but just haven’t found the right academic home yet, we invite you to consider transferring to Shimer College.
You can find Transfer Guides detailing core course equivalences for specific community colleges in the right sidebar of this page. If you do not see your college listed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Shimer College welcomes applications from transfer students who wish to transfer from two- or four-year institutions. Transfer students may be admitted at the beginning of the fall, spring, or summer semester.
Qualifying students who have completed an associate’s degree can enter with junior standing. Depending on intended major and previous program of study, a bachelor’s degree can be completed in two years of full-time study.
All courses in which a student has earned a C (or its equivalent) or better are considered for transfer credit. To receive credit for previous courses, please submit official transcripts prior to enrolling at Shimer.
Credit cannot be granted for experiential learning, career, or vocational courses.
Transfer Application Checklist
- Completed Application: Apply online by clicking here. Please list all the schools you have attended since high school on the application.
- Official College Transcripts: Contact the registrar at each school you have attended to request that an official transcript be sent to Shimer College. If you have fewer than 60 semester hours of college credit, please also submit a high school transcript or its equivalent.
- Official High School Transcripts: If you have fewer than 60 semester hours of college credit, please submit a high school transcript or its equivalent (such as a GED).
College Entrance Examinations (ACT or SAT): In most cases, Shimer College does not require college entrance examinations for admission. However, if they are available, we ask that results be posted on your high school transcript or that you ask the testing agency to forward the results to Shimer.
Shimer’s ACT code: 1142
Shimer’s SAT code: 1717
- Letter of Recommendation: Ask a teacher who can assess your academic progress and level of readiness for college-level work. Early Entry students need two recommendation letters. These can be emailed directly from the recommender to email@example.com.
- Essays or Writing Samples: Two writing samples. (You don’t need to write any special essays just for us. Two papers you think demonstrate your best work from classes you have already taken will be just fine.) Please email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application fee of $25 payable to Shimer College.
From now through July, we are waiving the $25 application fee for all transfer students!
- Admission Interviews: Interviews are conducted in person, on the phone, or via Skype as soon as the college has received your completed application.
- Dual Enrollment Agreement with City Colleges of Chicago
- Transfer Agreement with MontereyPeninsula College
- Contact us to connect with a current student.
- Watch President Susan Henking’s video about her experiences as a first-generation college graduate