For Lynne, the choice to transfer to Shimer was not what you’d expect.
“I wanted a program where I could take Chinese, where I could dance, and where I could take art courses. Shimer couldn’t offer me any of those things. But I came to Shimer anyway because they told me they were going to try to make it happen.”
And we did.
At Shimer, we work with you to make your educational experience what you want it to be, instead of expecting you to conform to us. If you are looking for a college experience that doesn’t assume that one size fits most, consider transferring to Shimer.
All courses in which a student has earned a C (or its equivalent) or better are considered for transfer credit. To receive credit for previous courses, please submit official transcripts prior to enrolling at Shimer. Depending on intended major and previous program of study, a bachelor’s degree can be completed in two years of full-time study.
You can find Transfer Guides detailing core course equivalences for specific community colleges in the right sidebar of this page. If you do not see your college listed, please contact email@example.com for further information.
Transfer Application Checklist
- Completed Application: Apply online by clicking here. Please list all the schools you have attended since high school on the application.
- Official College Transcripts: Contact the registrar at each school you have attended to request that an official transcript be sent to Shimer College. If you have fewer than 60 semester hours of college credit, please also submit a high school transcript or its equivalent.
- Official High School Transcripts: If you have fewer than 60 semester hours of college credit, please submit a high school transcript or its equivalent (such as a GED).
College Entrance Examinations (ACT or SAT): In most cases, Shimer College does not require college entrance examinations for admission. However, if they are available, we ask that results be posted on your high school transcript or that you ask the testing agency to forward the results to Shimer.
Shimer’s ACT code: 1142
Shimer’s SAT code: 1717
- Letter of Recommendation: Ask a teacher who can assess your academic progress and level of readiness for college-level work. Early Entry students without a high school diploma need two recommendation letters. Please ask your recommender to email your mail your recommendation letter(s) directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Essays or Writing Samples: Send us two writing samples. There is no need to write special essays for this purpose; just pick papers you wrote for classes you’ve already taken that you think exemplify your best work. Please email directly to email@example.com.
- Application fee of $25, payable by check or credit card.
Admission Interviews: Interviews are conducted in person, on the phone, or via Skype once the college has received your completed application.