For Lynne, the choice to transfer to Shimer was not what you’d expect.
“I wanted a program where I could take Chinese, where I could dance, and where I could take art courses. Shimer couldn’t offer me any of those things. But I came to Shimer anyway because they told me they were going to try to make it happen.”
And we did.
At Shimer, we work with you to make your educational experience what you want it to be, instead of expecting you to conform to us. If you are looking for a college experience that doesn’t assume that one size fits most, consider transferring to Shimer.
All courses in which a student has earned a C (or its equivalent) or better are considered for transfer credit. To receive credit for previous courses, please submit official transcripts prior to enrolling at Shimer. Depending on intended major and previous program of study, a bachelor’s degree can be completed in two years of full-time study.
You can find Transfer Guides detailing core course equivalences for specific community colleges in the right sidebar of this page. If you do not see your college listed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Transfer Application Checklist
- Completed Online Application Form: Apply online by clicking here. Please list all the schools you have attended since high school on the application.
- Official College Transcripts: Contact the registrar at each school you have attended to request that an official transcript be sent to Shimer College. If you have fewer than 60 semester hours of college credit, please also submit a high school transcript or its equivalent.
- Official High School Transcripts: If you have fewer than 60 semester hours of college credit, please submit a high school transcript or its equivalent (such as a GED).
College Entrance Examinations (ACT or SAT): In most cases, Shimer College does not require college entrance examinations for admission. However, if they are available, we ask that results be posted on your high school transcript or that you ask the testing agency to forward the results to Shimer.
Shimer’s ACT code: 1142
Shimer’s SAT code: 1717
- Letter of Recommendation: Please submit the name of an instructor who can assess your academic progress. The instructor will be contacted in the event that additional support for your application is deemed advisable.
- Application Essay: Please submit an essay describing your academic and co-curricular achievements, and why you want to attend Shimer College. 500-1500 words
- Academic Writing Sample: Please submit a writing sample on any subject that represents your best academic work. 500-1500 words.
- Application fee of $25. NO LONGER REQUIRED!
Admission Interviews: Interviews are conducted in person, on the phone, or via Skype once the college has received your completed application.