- You can apply year-round. We review applications on a rolling basis.
- You don’t have to submit SAT or ACT scores. Of course, if you have them, feel free to show them off. But they’re not required to apply.
- You don’t need a minimum GPA. We know that smarts can’t all be measured the same way. Braniacs of all stripes are welcome to apply: those with a 5.0, and those without.
- We want to know who you are. Your story is a big part of the application process. We ask you to participate in an application interview to give you a chance to talk about your interests and experiences.
- We let you know the decision quickly. Waiting around makes us bite our nails, too.The Office of Admission makes every effort to inform applicants of admission decisions within about a week of completion of all application requirements. In some cases, you can get your decision much faster—within 24 hours.
Join us for The Dangerous Optimist Open House, Saturday, December 5.
You can apply as these types of students.
First-Year Students are applicants who intend to enroll in college for the first time after graduating high school. International applicants welcome.
Transfer Students are applicants who have been enrolled in college. International applicants welcome.
Early Entrants are students who have not completed high school but are ready to take on the challenge and the opportunities of college. International applicants welcome.
Special Students are part-time, non-degree-seeking students, like those looking to join Shimer@60 or to take a Great Books course or two while enrolled at another college.
Dual Enrollment Students are students currently enrolled at the City Colleges of Chicago or Oakton College who are eligible to take Shimer courses for the same credit-hour cost that their schools charge.
Cross-registering? Just fill out the form.
Ready to Deposit? Enrollment Reservation form
Shimer is committed to equal educational opportunity and will consider the application of any individual who has the potential to perform well in a college environment. It is Shimer’s policy to actively seek a diverse student body.