Transfer students make up about two-thirds of each entering class at Shimer. Whether you’ve completed your AA and you’re ready to tackle your BA, or you’ve taken classes at a few schools but just haven’t found the right academic home yet, we invite you to consider transferring to Shimer.
Transfer credit to Shimer dependent on two factors: the particular degree program in which the student is enrolled at Shimer, and the appropriateness of the transfer courses to the requirements of the degree program. Only courses for which a grade of “C” or better has been received may be transferred. To assure transfer credits, transcripts must be submitted prior to admission to the College. If you would like to know how the credits you have earned will transfer to Shimer, please contact the Admission Office, and we will be happy to evaluate your transcript.
Transfer Application Checklist
- Completed Application: Start your online application by clicking here.
- Official College Transcripts: If you have attended any college or university since high school, you are regarded as a transfer student. Please list all the schools you have attended since high school on the application and contact the registrar at each of these schools to request that an official transcript be sent to Shimer College. Any student with fewer than 60 semester hours of college credit must also submit a high school transcript or its equivalent.
- Official High School Transcripts: Any student with fewer than 60 semester hours of college credit must submit a high school transcript or its equivalent (such as a GED).
College Entrance Examinations (ACT or SAT): In most cases, Shimer College does not require college entrance examinations for admission. However, if they are available, we ask that they be posted on your high school transcript or that you ask the testing agency to forward the results to Shimer.
Shimer’s ACT code: 1142
Shimer’s SAT code: 1717.
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher who can assess your academic progress and level of readiness for college-level work. Early Entry students need two recommendation letters. These can be mailed or emailed directly from the recommender to email@example.com.
- Essays or Writing Samples are an important part of your application. They will be read carefully by the Admission Committee. You may choose to respond to the prompts on the application, elect to submit a portfolio of two or three examples of expository writing of high quality, or a combination of the two. These can be mailed or emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job History: Many students have worked outside of school; some may be coming from the full-time workforce to Shimer. If you are applying to the Shimer, we are interested in knowing about your work.
- Application fee of $25 payable to Shimer College.
- Admission Interviews are usually conducted in person as soon as the college has received your completed application. However, if you are visiting the campus, we will be happy to meet with you at that time. If you are unavailable for a personal interview, arrangements can be made for a telephone interview.