Though Shimer doesn’t have formal student organizations or intramural sports, IIT invites us to join theirs. It’s ideal for those of us who want a little extra touch-football, badminton, or graphic novel appreciation in our lives.
We do, however, have plenty of our own activities and traditions, such as the annual Orange Horse, a talent show of strange and wonderful proportions, and Solidarity, an end-of-the-semester, community celebration.
The Office of Student Life also coordinates activities throughout the year, including community gatherings, field trips, public forums and lectures, theatre outings, and mixers with IIT and VanderCook students.
Plumb the Depths
Explore Chicago, and make the city your own. Here’s a little guidance to help you get your bearings.
- The Reader: Music, theater, arts, and film listings, classifieds, and contentious reviews.
- Time Out Chicago: Long form Yelp for restaurants, cafes, clubs, films, and art exhibits.
- Chicago Mag: Check out the Guide to Bronzeville.
- Windy City Times: LGBT events, entertainment, and news.
- Chicago is the World: “Global Culture, Local Voices”
- The Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago: Lists Muslim events and opportunities, including jobs and volunteering.
- Oy!Chicago: “An Online Community for Jews in the Loop”
- The University of Chicago Buddhist Association: Includes Buddhist events around the city.
- Ek Nazar: “Desi Lifestyle Portal”