We write to announce the formation of a steering committee to oversee the development of a new strategic plan for Shimer College. This committee will work to ensure an inclusive process that articulates our goals and specifies tactics for Shimer for coming years. In the coming weeks, we will share with you the charge to this committee, and they will begin work. We look forward to your involvement in the process of shaping the Shimer of the future.
While this work of strategic planning looks to our future, we have much on our plate that also requires immediate attention. This year includes a Higher Learning Commission focused visit as well as ongoing work in marketing, admission, and advancement. While we will do everything possible to ensure that this project does not distract from these and other urgent matters, we also must balance a focus on today with a longer term perspective. We are thus grateful for those who have agreed to serve on this committee.
The Steering Committee membership reaches across campus and the Board, and seeks to ensure both a sense of Shimerian history and new perspectives on what is possible. The Committee will comprise:
- Peter Hanig ’71 Board of Trustees
- Chris Vaughan ’87, Board of Trustees
- Carol Adams, Board of Trustees
- Bev Thurber, Assistant Professor of Humanities and Natural Sciences and member of the IGAC Assembly Committee
- James Bowers, Dean of Admission
- Heidi Kloehn, Database Manager and Annual Fund Coordinator
- Isabella Winkler, Director of Strategic Communications and Special Assistant to the President
- Susan Henking, President
- Sally Brown ’65, Chair, Board of Trustees
Please look forward to further communications from us regarding the committee’s work. And, please know that your voice matters as we build our future together.
Sarah Brown, Chair, Board of Trustees
Susan Henking, President