Application Due: Open Until Filled
Type: Full Time
Shimer College, an independent, four-year, liberal arts college located minutes from downtown Chicago, is seeking a full-time, year-round Admission Counselor who will report to the Dean of Admission and will be responsible for working with the Office of Admission team to fulfill the college’s recruitment goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages an assigned recruitment territory as a member of a team of recruiters responsible for contributing to Shimer’s undergraduate enrollment
- Plans travel schedule, visits high schools, and represents the College at college fairs, high school and/or community college visits, transfer fairs, and/or other recruitment events
- Builds relationships with prospective students and families through phone calls, emails social media, and meetings during on-campus visits.
- May be required to give presentations about the College in group and individual settings
- Conducts interviews with applicants and makes recommendations to the Admission Committee
- Manages projects to aid in recruitment efforts in coordination with faculty, alumni and members of the College’s staff
- Other duties as assigned
The Admission Counselor may occasionally be responsible for supervising student employees who serve as Student Ambassadors on a project-level basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled in the use of a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite. Database experience a plus
- Ability to articulate the benefits of a liberal arts education and Shimer College.
- Ability to establish and maintain ongoing relationships with high school guidance counselors and students
- Willingness to travel frequently during certain portions of the year.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and tasks effectively within an inter-connected small work environmen.
- Ability to work effectively with institutional colleagues including professional and student staff, faculty, prospective & current students, visitors, and guests of the College
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Valid driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle for assigned travel
Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university is required. One year’s undergraduate recruiting experience or two years’ experience in an undergraduate admissions office as a student ambassador preferred. Special consideration given for applicants who are proficient in speaking and writing in Spanish.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
Seventy percent office environment frequently requiring multi-task functioning. Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation. Lifting and moving items of 15 lbs. or less may be required. Movement to and from other departments on campus. Thirty percent recruitment travel, which may require air travel, driving within the region, and/or use of public transportation.
HOW TO APPLY
Shimer College is an equal opportunity employer, offering ambitious individuals a work environment based on collaboration, accountability, creativity, and diversity. Position is open until filled.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief Operating Officer
Email Address: email@example.com